Monday, August 22, 2011

Symptoms

*I wanted to start this post by saying that the point of this blog is not to get pity or attention. I want to record my journey not only for myself, but for women out there who are struggling through the same thing. This blog is meant to help myself learn about the syndrome, my bodies symptoms, and it's reaction to different forms of medication/herbal remedies. This is my journey.*


PCOS bring about a plethora of symptoms. Some women don't have any while others, like lucky ole me, get them all. I have done a lot of research and have talked to my doctors about the typical symptoms of PCOS. When I was first diagnosed I asked what I could do to help my chances of getting pregnant and ridding my body of the unwelcome cysts. "Well, the first thing we tell women with pcos is lose weight though diet and exercise. Obviously you don't need to do that". Okay, so now what?

I am 26 years old. I am 5'3 and weigh between 126-130 pounds depending on the day. I watch what I eat (I follow Weight Watchers) to keep my body healthy and to manage my weight. I am also physically active. I began running year ago and just completed the Insanity workout system.


This is me! I realize this is an embarrassing picture,
but
what the heck!

My point is that I guess I don't have ALL of the symptoms of pcos. I am not overweight and I do not have diabetes. However, developing diabetes is very possible if I don't maintain my weight.
So what symptoms DO I have?

Acne- My face is disgusting at times. I look like a 12 year old going through puberty. Acne covers my face and stays for a very long time. I get cystic acne (the large, deep, under the skin kind that hurt like hell), whiteheads, blackheads, etc. My chin, nose, forehead, and behind the ears are the worst places. If it weren't for makeup I wouldn't leave my house. I have seen more than 1 dermatologist, I have tried several prescribed medications, and have even tried all the face wash/acne systems. Nothing has worked.

The black and blue in front of my ear is cystic acne as well as the lowest spot. Behind my ear shows the other acne (the red).

Hair growth (hirsutism) on the face, chest, back, stomach, thumbs, and toes. This is due to the high levels of androgen. I've got it all. Gross, I know, but I shave it, pluck it, wax it, or hide it with makeup. For the purpose of these pictures I grew it out longer than usual! My hair is also pretty light so it's hard to see.




Excessive Hair Loss- Women with pcos experience male patterned hair loss. This is due to the androgen and testosterone levels. I lose hair ALL the time. I know it's normal to lose some, but you wouldn't believe how much I lose. The hair dresser told me I was balding and I cried. I knew she was right, but it's hard to hear!! She told me about some shampoo and conditioner that are supposed to help grow hair (Nioxin). I tried it... it didn't work. She told me not to use Rogain because Nioxin had a better success rate. She recommended I use Biolage to strengthen the hair I do have. *sigh*

Notice the balding. My hair is also dirty. These were taken before my shower :)

After a shower.


Few or no Menstrual Cycles- No pictures here. I went 6 months without a cycle. Now they come whenever they feel like it!


Depression- I wouldn't have said I was depressed. I thought it was my anxiety getting the best of me, but maybe it was depression. Whatever it was, I wasn't myself. I wasn't bubbly, energetic, or happy all of the time. People around me could tell that something was wrong. I went to the doctor to see what could be done about my severe anxiety. She prescribed me Celexa. It has really helped my mood, but I'm still tired all the time and it's very hard to get me to want to leave my house.

Infertility and Miscarriages- Well, I haven't had any miscarriages yet because I still haven't been able to get pregnant. We haven't REALLY been trying, but we also haven't NOT been trying. I stopped my birth control in April and have let nature take over. I pray that miscarriages won't be a problem :(






5 comments:

  1. I have pcos too. I hate the hair growth part the most. What is the best way that you have found to get rid of the hair on the face and chest? Those are my two worst areas. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really found a good way. I shave or wax the hair on my face and pluck hairs on my chest :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been shaving the hair on face but would like to wax. Any certain wax you recommend for that? Do you have alot of hair on your chest or just a few. I've noticed 2 large patches of about 40 dark hairs on my chest. So embarrassing. I think the chest hair is worse than the facial hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hirsutism part is the WORST. I too have the hair on my face and chest. I've been shaving and waxing my face and plucking and bleaching my chest. Its a never ending cycle. :( Do you find that when you pluck hairs on your chest, they come back sort of ingrown? Its embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please visit :
    http://www.srpcreations.com/KaSeTeRa_Skin_care.htm
    Hair remover in 20 min without any pain!
    Upper lip hair remover kit for Females.
    It's 100% herbal product from SRPcreations.com.

    ReplyDelete